Today’s article will may you think twice about the impact one person makes on the environment through the harmful products we consume. Using data collected over the past three years from thousands of toxic hotspots, the The World’s Worst Toxic Pollution Problems 2011 Report identifies the top ten toxic pollution threats, and for the first time, calculates their health impacts. Released by the Blacksmith Institute in collaboration with Green Cross Switzerland, the report reveals the most targeted picture of pollution’s toll to date. Research and documentation of this scale has never been done before, and the crucial information gathered in the report will help to prioritize life-saving cleanup efforts.
There are fact sheets available on the following industries and their dangerous effects on the environment.
- Artisanal Gold Mining and Mercury Pollution
- Industrial Estates – Lead Pollution
- Agricultural Production – Pesticide Pollution
- Lead Smelting – Lead Pollution
- Tannery Operations – Chromium Pollution
- Mining and Ore Processing – Mercury Pollution
- Mining and Ore Processing – Lead Pollution
- Lead-Acid Battery Recycling – Lead Pollution
- Naturally Occurring Arsenic in Groundwater – Arsenic Pollution
- Pesticide Manufacturing and Storage – Pesticide Pollution